Archive for September, 2009
UB Student ALA is sponsoring a book drive to benefit Western NY Children’s Psychiatric Center. The kids at WNYCPC could really use updated materials, both fiction and non-fiction. Please place new or gently-used books appropriate for ages 4-18 in the marked donation box in the LIS student lounge, 17 Baldy (in the basement near the lab). Near that box is a list of suggested titles, if you are interested. The Center does censor some materials, so please no books about suicide, violence, etc. If you are wondering if an item you would like to donate is appropriate, you can email ubstudentala [at] gmail [dot] com. The donation box will be there for the remainder of the semester. There will also be a donation boxed placed in the DLIS office, 534 Baldy (it’s not there yet, but it will be.)
Thanks for your help!
- The Linda Yalem run is this Sunday September 27, 2009 at 9:30 a.m. To register go to http://lindayalemrun.buffalo.edu/
- All library science students participating in the race are meeting Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m. at the big bronze buffalo in front of the Center for the Arts and Alumni Arena so that we can run/walk together. Everyone is welcome to participate or cheer us on!
- Pre-Race Dinner on Saturday, September 26, 2009 hosted by Elaine Dean for those participating in the race. If you wish to attend the dinner please email an RSVP to ehdean at buffalo.edu to receive directions and additional information. The dinner will start at 6:00 p.m.
- UB-ALA is supporting a book donation to the Western New York Children’s Psychiatric Center in West Seneca, NY. If you are interested in donating books, please watch for a donation box in the student lounge. A list of acceptable materials will be forthcoming. The donation box will be in the student lounge by next Tuesday the 29th of September and donations will be accepted throughout the semester. All donations appreciated!
- The NYLA Conference is from October 14-17th, 2009. If you are interested in carpooling please email ubstudentala at gmail.com.
- The next UB-ALA Meeting will be on Tuesday October 13, 2009 at 6:00 p.m. in 553 Baldy. We hope to see you there!
The next ALA meeting will be Tuesday, September 22 at 6pm in 553 Baldy.
We’ll discuss the great success (and deliciousness!) of the Rochester Barbecue and pin down dates for the Wine & Cheese Soiree, among other things.
Hope to see you there!
First meeting of the Fall semester!
Some highlights include: luring in new members, getting ready for the Linda Yalem Run, and planning all the upcoming events of the semester.
Read the minutes to get the whole story.
The first ALA meeting of the fall 2009 semester will take place on Tuesday, September 8 from 6-6:45pm in 553 Baldy. Agenda items include planning dates/times for the wine and cheese event and bake sale, service opportunities in Buffalo, and planning for upcoming events (Rochester Picnic, Linda Yalem Run, NYLA Conference, etc.) Hope to see you there!