The ALA Presidential Elections are coming up quickly, and it’s important for all librarians (and library students) to take a moment and learn about who might be representing them at a national/international level. There are two candidates this year. Sara Kelly Johns, a school library media specialist from Lake Placid, and Molly Raphael, a public librarian from Portland, Oregon.
Sara envisions leading an ALA that:
- “vigorously promotes the value of libraries to the public and decision-makers,”
- “is open, transparent and encourages participation,”
- “champions intellectual freedom, privacy and equal access to information,”
- “creates diversity in our profession,”
- “seeks equitable salaries and benefits for all library workers, and”
- “provides targeted professional development and training, delivered in every possible format.”
Check out her qualifications and platform at http://www.skj4ala.com/
Molly’s priorities for ALA this year are:
- “diversity and inclusiveness”
- “and defending our core values”
Learn more about her and her platform at http://mollyraphael.org/
Remember, voting starts March 16 and goes through April 23. Get involved!